Q: Should I put JS4801 CUHK Social Science in Band A choice to increase my chance of success?

A: According to the admission statistics, all admitted students in the last three years put JS4801 in Band A.

Q: If I join CUHK through Social Science Broad-based, can I still choose a double degree or minor programme in the future?

A: Yes, there are two double degree options offered by School of Journalism and Communication and Department of Sociology. Students can also fulfill the requirements set by respective departments to declare minor. More details are available at this link.

Q: Is there any past admission scores for reference?

A: For JUPAS, the upper quartile, median and lower quartile scores are very similar in the past few years for Social Science Broad-based Programme. Please refer to last year's scores as a reference. For IB and GCE qualifications, the university-wide admission score ranges in the past few years are available.

Q: What are some career opportunities for Social Science graduates?

A : Majority of Social Science graduates choose to join the workforce or pursue further studies after graduation. The ability to think rationally and have a good understanding of the society is vital to whatever one chooses to do. Social Science study trains students’ critical thinking skills and provide them with broader perspectives to solve different problems. With such capabilities, our graduates are very much sought after by various employers, ranging from private firms to public organizations. 

Q: Is there any weighting for specific HKDSE subjects?

A: Yes, according to the admission requirements, the weighting of the English Language is 1.3.  

Q: Is there any interview for JUPAS?

A: Yes, applicants from JUPAS special schemes e.g. School Principal's Nominations and non-school applicants would be invited for interviews on a selection basis. 

Q: Comparing to individual major programmes, is it easier to apply for Social Science broad-based admission line and then join the designated programme through declaration of major?

A: It depends.  The admission statistics of various programmes vary every year.  Besides, Architectural Studies and Government & Public Administration have special requirement for declaration of major.

Q: Do I need to indicate a potential major upon admission?

A: No. The aim of Social Science broad-based admission line is to allow students to explore different social science disciplines before deciding a major programme.

Q: When do I need to declare major?

A: Students will need to declare the major programme towards the end of their first year of study.

Q: Is there really no quota for Social Science broad-based admission line students to declare major programmes in Year 2?

A: Yes, according to the major declaration principles, programmes have NO pre-set quota for students of Social Science broad-based admission line.  However, there are some special requirements for Architectural Studies and Government & Public Administration.  

Q: As I do not belong to any Department/School in my first year, how can I seek help in academic matters?

A: The Associate/Assistant Deans (student affairs) and other faculty members from the Departments/Schools will serve as the academic advisors for these students. Students are most welcome to seek help from these academic advisors. Students will also be able to explore their true aptitude and potentials with the guidance of our faculty members.

Q: Do I need to spend longer time to complete my study as I only confirm my major programme in Year 2?

A: No, students do not need to spend extra time to complete the whole course of study. The normative period of study is 4 years for students admitted through Social Science broad-based admission line, same as that for other programmes’ students.

Q: Will it be difficult to catch up with students applying for direct entry in other programmes?

A: In Year 1 of study, Social Science broad-based admission line students can study courses of their intended majors.  These courses equip Broad-based Admission Line students with the necessary knowledge to join the major programme in Year 2.  You can understand more from the sharing of our students.

Q: Apart from studying, can students join any student societies or clubs?

A: Definitely. There are many student associations such as the International Student Association, Korean Student Association, Taiwanese Student Association, to name a few. In addition, a wide range of interest clubs (e.g. martial arts, band, photography, drama, debating, and astronomy) are housed under various colleges and other units to cater to the needs of students.

Q: In addition to local students, do you admit international students?

A: In the past few years, students who studied in or came from from Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Morocco, Myanmar, Pakistan, South Korea, Mainland China, Taiwan, United Kingdom and United States were admitted to Social Science (Broad-based)

Q: What Bachelor degree will I get upon graduation?

A: Students who admitted through Social Science (Broad-based) admission line will declare a Social Science major at the end of the first year. Upon graduation, students will get a Bachelor of Social Science degree of the chosen major from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

Q: Why should I choose Hong Kong to pursue a Social Science degree?

A: Hong Kong is a place where “East Meets West”and CUHK combines “Tradition with Modernity”. The Hong Kong society is full of diversity and this facilitates students to study the various social science disciplines from multiple p rerspectives.

Q: Can I apply for overseas enrichment or study exchange?

A: The University provides various exchange programmes at university, college, faculty and departmental levels. In addition to overseas enrichment/study exchange, some students choose to devote their time on internship, second major, minor, social innovation projects or other extra-curricular activities. 

Q: I don’t know Chinese. Can I study Social Science at the Chinese University of Hong Kong?

A: Yes. International students are not required to know Chinese to be admitted to Social Science (Broad-based). Courses are taught in English or Chinese and in some cases in both languages.  In fact, some international students treasure the opportunity to take non-credit bearing self-learning elementary Chinese course at the university to enhance their language skills.